This position requires the employee to reside within the service area of BTES.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Networking, Electrical and/or Computer Engineering or related field is required. Completed coursework in networking, programming, control systems, telecommunications and power systems is suggested but not required.
Experience: Experience with routers, switches, IP, DHCP, DNS, BGP and other related protocols and systems. Experience in fiber optic networks, telecommunication central office/NOC/headend systems and phone provisioning, programming experience in Java, C++, C#, Python, etc. a plus.
Job Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of network design, security, operation and troubleshooting. Understands network elements including routers, switches, IP, DHCP, DNS, BGP and other related protocols and systems. Operation Systems – Linux, Unix, Windows 10/11, Software Packages – Adobe, Microsoft Office 2003/2007/2010/365.
Abilities & Skills:
- Must be able to apply computer techniques to network/engineering planning and operating studies.
- Able to work well in teams or independently as required depending on the project.
- Drive vehicle and operate two-way radio. See that vehicle receives proper maintenance and stays clean and in order.
- Able to be available and serve in 24/7 on-call rotation with other employees.
- Attain complete and thorough knowledge of BTES’ policies, rates and procedures and a thorough knowledge of BTES’ construction standards and procedures, its physical plant and its geographical locations of important positions (substations, switches, feed-points, etc.).
- Should have the ability to write and present training programs.
- The ability to make a proper and acceptable decision with minimal or no assistance.
- Must be able to write concise and informative business correspondence.
- The ability to be at work as scheduled and as needed.
Working Conditions: Approximately half of the time is spent inside with typical office conditions and the other half is spent in the field performing planning, design analysis, implementing projects and troubleshooting as needed. Field work also includes interacting with customers, contractors and fellow employees on system projects and customer installations. Should be able to work all day in hot or cold weather conditions if needed and subject to emergency calls at all times. Will be required to attend occasional training conferences and seminars related to fiber optic networks, services and supervision which could require overnight travel.
Full job description available upon request.
Apply Online Download Application
BTES is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.