Where you purchase an electrical inspection depends on where your property is located. Please refer to the following to ensure that you are contacting the correct office:
- Properties located in Sullivan County, but are not within the city limits of Bristol Tennessee, are inspected by the State of Tennessee Deputy Electrical Inspector. Purchase the inspection permit here.
- Properties located within the city limits of Bristol Tennessee are inspected by the Codes Enforcement Division of the City of Bristol Tennessee. The City is available to answer questions Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. by calling 423-989-5709. Their office is located in the Municipal Building at 801 Anderson Street, Bristol, TN.
- Properties located in Washington County, VA are inspected by the Department of Building Inspection. Inspection permits may be purchased at their office located at the County Administration Building, 205 Academy Drive, Abingdon, VA, 276-676-6209. They are open from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Properties located in the Kingsport, TN area are inspected by the City of Kingsport. Inspection permits may be purchased at their office located at 201 West Market Street, Kingsport, TN, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 pm. Their office number is 423-229-9393.
The State of Tennessee Deputy Electrical Inspector is available to answer questions or set up appointments for inspections by calling 615-741-2241.
The following are examples of work that require electrical inspections
- Upgrades or repairs to an existing electrical service
- Relocation of a current meter base
- Heat pump installation
- Addition to an existing building
- New home construction
- Mobile home hook-up
The location of the property determines which entity is responsible for performing electrical inspections.
The following are the prices for inspections if they are in Sullivan County but are not within the city limits of Bristol, Tennessee. Prices are based on the amp size. There is also a $3 issuing fee that will be added to the total of the inspection price.
|1001 Amps and above are negotiated directly with the Deputy Electrical Inspector.
A BTES engineer must look at new or relocated services to determine the location of the service entrance and meter base. BTES will provide the meter base, which must be used in order to pass the inspection.
It is always best to talk with a BTES engineer before starting work.
Contact BTES for questions: 423-968-1526 or email email@example.com